Product Summary:Townshend Maximum Supertweeters heighten the sense of realism in music by extending the frequency response of conventional hi-fi speakers up to 90kHz. Though this is above the theoretical limit of human hearing, these frequencies create a palpable presence and a naturalness that reveals hidden detail throughout the high end. Townshend Supertweeters will make your speakers new again.... Click To Read More
Everything Ships Free!
The price shown includes shipping and insurance.Learn More
Trade to Upgrade
Most items purchased from Jaguar can be traded back for credit toward future purchases. See our Customer Service section for futher details.Learn More
Have Questions? 844-462-8346Call our experts for product info and advice or chat now with a specialist.
Townshend Audio – Maximum Supertweeters
Townshend Maximum Supertweeters heighten the sense of realism in music by extending the frequency response of conventional hi-fi speakers up to 90kHz. Though this is above the theoretical limit of human hearing, these frequencies create a palpable presence and a naturalness that reveals hidden detail throughout the high end. Townshend Supertweeters will make your speakers new again.
Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for Townshend Audio Products, imported from England. Maximum Supertweeters allow you to get utmost pleasure from both digital and analog formats by accurately revealing high-frequency detail above 6kHz. Even though a CD cannot produce information above 20kHz Maximum Supertweeters make the format sound more natural and reveal a wealth of extra detail when compared with dome tweeters. This is because of the much faster response of the ultra-light ribbon diaphragm when compared with the much slower response of a relatively heavy dome assembly.
- Maximum Supertweeters reproduce high and very high frequencies in the most coherent and realistic fashion, delivering a rich harmonic structure that dome tweeters simply cannot match.
- Coherent high frequencies affect the brain both physiologically and psychologically, revealing the full potential of your favorite recordings.
The Maximum Supertweeter works from 6kHz upwards making it better able to produce the leading edge of each transient without time smear. That’s why it makes a system sound more relaxed and natural, as it can respond to the signal with greater speed and greater accuracy.
What surprises people the most is the extra detail that they hear in the bass. You might expect the greater sense of ease and openness which they introduce but the harmonic detail that is revealed across the entire audio band is nothing short of miraculous. The Maximum Supertweeter is engineered to integrate with all high-quality speakers with a simple connection utilizing the 1.5m link cables provided.
Supertweeters are wired in parallel with the main amplifier feed or the tweeter connection at the main speaker and there is a six-position level switch that allows for seamless integration with your speakers.
Note: Also included is a pair of 1.5M Townshend Audio jumper cables with spade connectors.
Supertweeter Frequency Response
ABOVE: Afro Cuban Latin Jazz from El Vuello –an iTrax download with music above 20kHz
Native Dutchman Rene van Es explores the Psychoacoustic effects of the Townshend Supertweeters:
“I love these Supertweeters and will keep them on top of my PMCs to have that extra portion of adrenaline flowing in my veins when listening to my favorite music. Now I’m wondering if should I invest in a second pair for the Harbeths?”
Somewhat initially skeptical, Tony Bolton soon finds the Maximum Super Tweeters a permanent fixture in his home HiFi system….
“Obviously, given the frequency response of these components, I expected any alteration to the sound to be focussed on the midrange and the treble, but was pleasantly surprised to find that this change included an opening up of the bass sound as well, adding layers of texture to its tonal qualities, also surprised me was the fact that high-frequency sound, such as record surface noise, instead of being enhanced, was actually reduced in perceived presence and became less intrusive”
The Townshend Maximum Supertweeters are very effective devices, but will only work most effectively when they are set up properly. To do so:
(1) Place the supertweeters so that the front edges of the tweeters are aligned with the front edges of your speaker cabinets and, if possible, located directly above the tweeters. If this is not possible, center the supertweeters on the front edge of your speaker cabinets.
(2) Connect the provided cables to both the supertweeters and the speaker binding posts. They are not directional. If you are using banana connectors on your speaker cables, connect the supertweeter cables first, then insert the banana connectors on the speaker cables into the backs of the banana connectors on the supertweeter cables.
(3) Set the supertweeters to ‘1’ and listen to one or more test tracks. Then set them to ‘2’ and listen again. Continue until you begin to hear the supertweeters.
(4) At this point, turn the supertweeters down one notch and listen carefully. Then, turn them down another notch and listen again. One of these settings will be the correct one. You may need to go back and forth between these settings before you decide upon which one to use.
(5) Like subwoofers, supertweeters are not meant to be heard—only their EFFECT should be heard. This effect should be immediately apparent.
Note: Also included is a pair of 1.5M Townshend Audio jumper cables with spade connectors. The Silver finish is silver paint, not chrome.
- Frequency Resp: Up to 90kHz. (See graph)
- Amplifier power: Up to 400W, unclipped music
- Rating to DIN IEC 268: 500w peak
- Max sensitivity (2.8V @ 1m): 89dB
- Nominal impedance: 11 ohm (min), rising to 20 ohm
- Drive unit: Pure aluminium ribbon.W 5mm, L 25mm, T, 0.01mm Mass 0.003grammes Ultra powerful rare earth neodymium magnets
- Crossover: First order
- Level control: 1: 74dB 2: 79dB 3: 83dB 4: 85dB 5: 87dB 6: 89dB
- Dimensions: Each W 50mm (2″), H 30mm (1.2″), D 100mm (4″) Shipping (pair)W 250mm (10″), H 50mm (2″), D 200mm (8″)
- Weight: Each 0.5 Kg (1.1lb) Shipping (pair) 1.2Kg (2.6lb)
- Cable: Banana or spade 1.5m