Ortofon – Quintet Blue Moving Coil Cartridge
Product Summary:Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for all Ortofon products. The Quintet Blue's sound image will tend to more smooth reproduction compared to Quintet Red and moderate dynamic strength compared to Quintet Bronze. It features a Nude Elliptical diamond mounted on an aluminum cantilever. The Quintet Blue will bring more space, depth and detail into the sound and is a very good choice for any kind of music, especially rhythmic.... Click To Read More
Trial Period 45 Days
Countries Shipped North America
Break-In Time 20 Hours
Everything Ships Free!
The price shown includes shipping and insurance.Learn More
Trade to Upgrade
Most items purchased from Jaguar can be traded back for credit toward future purchases. See our Customer Service section for futher details.Learn More
Have Questions? 844-462-8346Call our experts for product info and advice or chat now with a specialist.
Ortofon – Quintet Blue Moving Coil Cartridge
Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for all Ortofon products. The Quintet Blue’s sound image will tend to more smooth reproduction compared to Quintet Red and moderate dynamic strength compared to Quintet Bronze. It features a Nude Elliptical diamond mounted on an aluminum cantilever. The Quintet Blue will bring more space, depth and detail into the sound and is a very good choice for any kind of music, especially rhythmic.
Nothing demonstrates Ortofon’s long-standing resilience more than its commitment to the refinement of analogue sound quality and its continued development of new cartridge models. Since 1948 Ortofon has introduced about 100 different Moving Coil models. The cartridges in this new series are more than worthy successors to the long line of models that has made Ortofon the global leader in the manufacture and supply of phono cartridges.
The MC Quintet Series is a direct result of continued research and innovation
The MC Quintet Series is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration:
- A special ABS (Acrylonitrile/Butadiene/Styrene) thermoplastic material is used for manufacturing of the body. This light-weight, impact resistant material is very suitable for injection-moulding and provides a very durable scratch resistant surface.
- Neodymium magnets are implemented to achieve an optimal output.
- Low internal impedance makes the cartridge less sensitive to load and therefore ensures compatibility with the widest range of preamps and transformers.
Each of the five Quintet Series cartridges has its own individual sonic expression, and all five models together represent the ensemble of five classic variations:
- MC Quintet Mono is a true mono cartridge for playing mono microgroove vinyl records
- MC Quintet Red is an all-purpose cartridge that delivers open, dynamic sound with a slight touch of warmth
- MC Quintet Blue adds more dynamics and resolution, sounds more open and reproduces more details
- MC Quintet Bronze adds even more details and resolution but in a very evenhanded way that pays respect to all elements
- MC Quintet Black S is the best of everything, true to the groove with resolution and accurate insight into each recording
Hi-Fi Choice October 2014
Reviewed and tested by Andrew Simpson
Verdict: Superb sounding all-rounder that shows analogue at its best. Excellent value.
“… It offers the most comprehensive and enjoyable performance with all music, showing Ortofon has clearly hit upon another magic formula…
…it presents all the detail in the track with real dymanism … its soundstage is expansive left to right…and it also possesses a greater talent for bringing instruments within it to life…
…Each instrument gets the space to let its notes grow, which it knits together into a cohesive whole, revealing its measured and neutral presentation…
…Bass is well articulated and evenly presented without being overly emphasized or rolling off too early, making its presence and detail felt without becoming overwhelming on more demanding bass-heavy music.
Output voltage at 1 kHz 5 cm/sec – 0.5 mV
Channel balance – < 1.5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz – > 21 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz – > 14 dB
Frequency range at -3 dB – 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz – +/-2.5 dB
Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommended tracking force *) – 70 μm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral – 15 μm/mN
Stylus type – Nude Elliptical
Stylus tip radius – r/R 8/18 μm
Tracking force range – 2.1-2.5 g (21-25 mN)
Tracking force recommended – 2.3 g (23 mN)
*) Typical value
Tracking angle – 20º
Internal impedance, DC resistance – 7 Ohm
Recommended load impedance – >20 Ohm
Cartridge body material – ABS/Aluminium
Coil wire material – Pure 4-nines copper
Cartridge colour – Blue
Cartridge weight – 9 g