Product Summary:Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for all Ortofon products. The Ortofon 2M Red is an evolution and an update of Ortofon's best-selling OM Series of Moving Magnet cartridges. The 2M body, generator and stylus profile have all been greatly improved and this great budget cartridge integrates 21st-century technology in an affordable package.... Click To Read More
Everything Ships Free!
The price shown includes shipping and insurance.Learn More
Trade to Upgrade
Most items purchased from Jaguar can be traded back for credit toward future purchases. See our Customer Service section for futher details.Learn More
Have Questions? 844-462-8346Call our experts for product info and advice or chat now with a specialist.
2M Red – Moving Magnet Phono Cartridge By Ortofon
Jaguar is an Authorized Retailer for all Ortofon products. The Ortofon 2M Red is an evolution and an update of Ortofon’s best-selling OM Series of Moving Magnet cartridges. The 2M body, generator and stylus profile have all been greatly improved and this great budget cartridge integrates 21st-century technology in an affordable package.
The 2M series of cartridges feature Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have flat frequency response, just like a moving coil cartridge. Ortofon invented the Split pole pin technology that was originally offered in the 500 series and Super OM series. The 2M Red uses an improved engine, which provides an increased output of 5.5mV. The 2M Red features a tipped elliptical diamond.
The 2M series was developed in conjunction with Danish designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award-winning MC Jubilee and very successful Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
The 2M series is designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon’s philosophy is to make cartridges which reproduce the record grooves as accurately as possible, without coloring the sound. The 2M series design has entry-level for ease of mounting and their weight and size fit virtually any current turntable.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which would be both easy to pronounce and to remember, therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. Mathematically 2M can be also represented as MM, which also happens to be the abbreviation for moving magnet. Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. Engineered to the highest standards the 2M series follows Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
The Absolute Sound Product of the Year Award Winner
“The 2M Red is the entry level and 2M Black is the flagship. Their performance is a fitting tribute to Ortofon and chief engineer Per Windfield!“
– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound
Reviewed by Steve Harris and Paul Miller
“…a pleasing ambience…
…intimate, trembling quality…
…bass in proportion…
…realistic without going into hardness…
…sense of space even in the climaxes…”
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. – 5,5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz – 1,5 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz – 22 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz – 15 dB
- Frequency range at – 3dB – 20-22.000 Hz
- Frequency response – 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / – 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force – 70 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral – 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type – Elliptical
- Stylus tip radius – r/R 8/18 µm
- Tracking force range – 1,6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended – 1,8 g (18 mN)
- Tracking angle – 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance – 1,3 kOhm
- Internal inductance – 700 mH
- Recommended load resistance – 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance – 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus – Black/Red
- Cartridge weight – 7,2 g
- 2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell weight – 20 g
- 2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell length – 52 mm
- Replacement stylus unit – 2M Red (interchangeable with 2M Blue and 2M Silver)